Bad breath is a very common problem and there are many different causes. Bad breath can be improved by following a daily oral hygiene regime and cutting down on sugary foods and drinks. Regular trips to the hygienist will also ensure your plaque levels are kept under control.
Causes of bad breath include:
- Chronic bad breath usually has an underlying medical cause such as throat, nose or lung infections and sinusitis, bronchitis, gastro-intestinal conditions or diabetes.
- Poor dental hygiene. Without regular brushing and flossing, bacteria and bits of food can get trapped in between your teeth, which release an unpleasant odour after some time.
- Consuming strong, odorous foods like garlic, onions and coffee.
If you are aware that your breath is not as fresh as you would like it to be, make an appointment with the hygienist for some advice and assistance.
- Fresh breath gives you confidence in social situations.
- Indicates good oral health and clean teeth.
- Healthy gums.